Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Week out of Training

This week as been nerve racking but exciting all at the same time. Starting a new job is always a little scary, but I've had so much fun! In my first week, I have worked with Pocahontas, Baloo and King Louie, Goofy, Pluto, Mickey and Minnie. Working at Dinoland and Camp Mickey Minnie was really fun...very hot...but fun! They were also easy spots to start in and the other people I had to work with were so nice and helpful. Everyone was great about anticipating my questions and answering them before I could even get a chance to ask them! My role has a lot of small things to keep track of every time I am out in the parks with characters. But each time I go out there it gets a little bit easier. I've also made a lot of friends that are in entertainment as well so it's really comforting to have people to eat lunch with and talk to on breaks at work. All my captains and my managers have been so wonderful as well. But I think my favorite part of my job is seeing the smiles on the guests faces when they see their favorite character for the first time, or even for the tenth time.

While I was with Baloo and King Louie, I had this family come into my line, two little boys with curly red hair and their parents, and started giggling when it was almost their turn. I knelt down to talk to them and I asked them if they were excited.The giggled even more and shook their heads "yes" with so much enthusiasm. When it was their turn they ran up to the characters and gave them a ton of high fives and hugs. The little boys could not stop giggling and their laughter was contagious. They had everyone waiting in line, myself, and the Photopass photographer laughing along with them. They were the cutest things ever!

The next day I was working in EPCOT at the Character Spot with Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. The first few families came through and all the little kids were so excited to meet Mickey. Then the family I recognized from the previous day came wandering up. I said hello and told them that I recognized them from Animal Kingdom yesterday. The little boys gave me high fives and when I asked if they knew who they were coming to see they said no. I then asked them who they hoped would be behind the wall and they told me they wanted to see Mickey Mouse. I played along with them and said that I hadn't seen Mickey yet because he is so busy running from park to park making sure everything is running smoothly but I promised the little boys that they would love who was here in this room. They started jumping up and down and giggling again.

I saw Mickey wave goodbye to the family before them and gave a nod to the photographer to let him know he was going to get some good reaction photos from these kids. So I ask the little boys if they were excited and the anticipation kept building till finally I told them to come in. They started running into the room and stopped dead in their tracks, both screamed "MICKEY!" and ran up to him giving the biggest hugs in the world while giggling. The photographer got some awesome shots and as they went deeper into the room to see Pluto and Minnie, their excitement never weakened.

Those are the families that make my job fun. The families that believe completely in the magic, the families that just live the magic for their entire vacation. It makes it so easy to smile for hours everyday and stand out in the Florida sun all day. Every cast member who loves their job has hundreds of these memories, that is why we are all here working in the Happiest Place on Earth.

Have a magical day, I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment